PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012

Sharingan
09.06.2012, 01:20
Don't know how many here are football fans but this is a largely European forum, so I'm thinking it deserves a European Championship thread.

First two games were awesome, my addiction to competitive football is temporarily satisfied. Looking forward to tomorrow and certainly Sunday - Spain vs. Italy looks like it could be really amazing.

Medic
09.06.2012, 14:20
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/index.html

Netherlands - Denmark tonight. Stil wondering how far we will come (probably not far).

OneEar
09.06.2012, 14:46
Those first two games were great! Medic, I think the Netherlands will do well :)

MrMojay
09.06.2012, 16:02
Lots of Buzz over here, it's like the world cup all over again.

FINArsi
09.06.2012, 16:52
Gonna be watching the games. Ive always liked Netherlands playstyle its my favorite team this year also. Finland would be but maybe in the next 100 years we will get in to the tournament. :icon_lol:

Medic
09.06.2012, 19:07
Was a good match to watch. Mostly fair play from every one. As far as the referee goes, i don't think he will be whistling the final match.;)

Jazy2
09.06.2012, 19:30
I have to say I was expecting more from the Dutch.

Very poor finishing indeed.

Hopefully they get it together for the next 2 games.

Denmark were not great either.

Medic
09.06.2012, 19:45
Everyone is expecting much from us, except us hollanders (if we make it beyond this week, that would be amazing). We have a lot of injuries in the team and the feeling isn't there yet. Let's just hope this was a cold start.

FINArsi
09.06.2012, 19:47
Many places to score but bad finishing for sure. Should have been something like 3-1 but maybe they will get their scoring in order.
Next match should be intetesting too.

Medic
09.06.2012, 19:56
May the best team win.:D No tie, because that would be bad for us.

We can win from portugal, so i hope Germany will win. And i like there playstyle more. It has improved much in the last couple of years.

Medic
09.06.2012, 20:11
Orange wheel clamp on playerbus Germans.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVhGZ6Bp40

Sharingan
10.06.2012, 02:34
Netherlands have a good attack but a dodgy back four, it will be tough for them to get out of the groupif they don't get at least a draw from Germany, and they were unlucky wih how many chances they wasted.

Portugal made the game boring but are a talented bunch when they want to play. Germany look the only team that have really high class defending and attacking. Spain, Italy, Netherlands and France all have good attacks, not so good defence, England have good defence, fairly useles attack, but Germany have everything, but if Spain turn it on they can beat everyone.

But I still have a sneaky feeling we can 1-0 our way to being champions :icon_mrgreen:

Russia vs. England final, you heard it here first.

Remi
10.06.2012, 12:27
No idea how we beat Holland, very lucky. Also we played hand-ball in our goal field. :D

Russia looks scary. Germany did not play their best against Portugal, but still won.

MrMojay
10.06.2012, 19:25
You can watch the Games online on aertv, in SD or HD.

http://www.aertv.ie/

Jazy2
10.06.2012, 19:27
With my crap internet and small monitor I think I'll just stick to the TV :)

MrMojay
10.06.2012, 19:40
It's all about to kick off now! eek.....Come on Ireland!

MrMojay
10.06.2012, 21:44
3-1 to Croatia. :(

Medic
10.06.2012, 21:58
Funny side note.
http://www.bnr.nl/incoming/547570-1206/kuipers578.jpg/ALTERNATES/i/Kuipers578.jpg
The assistant referee (Erwin Zeinstra, second left) who made the call on the second goal for croatia was a neighbour of mine from when i stil lived with my parents. Played a lot of Mario on the NES with his sister (and no, nothing else).

From what i heard it was a legit goal, because Stephen Ward tries to control the ball and Nikica Jelavic isn't offside anymore then.

Jazy2
10.06.2012, 23:31
Poor show from the Irish, expected more from the 2 first players to be subbed.

Soft goals to give away :(

Gorhaut
10.06.2012, 23:31
"....nothing else..." Someone seems overly defensive, so something "else" must have occured :p

Sharingan
10.06.2012, 23:32
Funny side note.
http://www.bnr.nl/incoming/547570-1206/kuipers578.jpg/ALTERNATES/i/Kuipers578.jpg
The assistant referee (Erwin Zeinstra, second left) who made the call on the second goal for croatia was a neighbour of mine from when i stil lived with my parents. Played a lot of Mario on the NES with his sister (and no, nothing else).

From what i heard it was a legit goal, because Stephen Ward tries to control the ball and Nikica Jelavic isn't offside anymore then.

Indeed, second phase and all that.

Ireland should have had a penalty but better team won in the end. Really soft goals unfortunately, which was surprising.

Just shows you the unpredictability of football and preparation, Ireland didn't play close to their potential and had a great preparation, had a ton of clean sheets in friendlies and qualifying, probably the most experienced manager in the world, a great team spirit and no injuries in their squad. Meanwhile Italy had terrible preparation, got trounced by Russia while another of their warm up games was called off after an earthquake, no players were scoring goals after Rossi got injured, they had no idea what formation they should play and decided today to play one that they've never really played before, and now Italian football is going through another match-fixing scandal, and yet they produced such a brilliant performance against Spain.

Jazy2
10.06.2012, 23:43
Time to Baur peeps in the face now..

black_Mirror
11.06.2012, 02:09
Germany will most likely win this tournament. We all know this and we all want this to happen.

But to be serious again, the game VS Portugal was kinda lame. This French ref made some silly decisions and we should have won with a higher score based on all the chanced we got. :D

Sharingan
11.06.2012, 22:54
Decent draw, very annoying ref and poor team shape for the goal, but generally good defending, great commitment from all the players, and Oxlade-Chamberlain and Welbeck were really bright.

Entertaining second game too I thought, great moments from Shevchenko and always great to watch Ibrahimovic when he's on form.

Medic
12.06.2012, 20:16
Nice games to watch indeed. So far i think all the groups are very interesting.

Sharingan
12.06.2012, 22:30
Yh more good games this evening, but especially the second. Russia are really dynamic up front with a really strong midfield - combination of technical, tactical and physical ability - but Poland have some quality too and showed real heart on home turf.

Gonna be a really interesting last day on that group.

Sharingan
12.06.2012, 23:43
Excited about tomorrow's games, think Portugal will get countered on like they did with the Dutch, get the lead and hold on if it's not too hot. Eriksen needs a big game now.

Germany v Holland will be great, plenty of history and Dutch have to win, so won't be too cagey. I'd start with Sneijder on the left, Robben right, RVP behind Huntelaar with Willems giving width on the left and De Jong filling in when he has to, but Van Marwick likes the quick inverted wingers. Sneijder and Van Der Vaart is too lightweight in midfield against the Germans IMO, maybe Strootman, but not VDV. I'm expecting an efficient Germany to pick the Dutch off on the counter if they get too attacking - especially with Holland's dodgy back four - otherwise a draw. Any occasion where you can watch Ozil is a treat.

black_Mirror
13.06.2012, 02:43
Going to public viewing for this event. As much as I hate people and don't like crowded places, I somehow have to watch this game somewhere not home. ( especially because I have not TV :D ) Well as desperate as the Dutch may are, I still hope Germany will kick butt and win this Game! Sucks to be at public viewing just to have your team lose.
So may the best Team consisting of germans win!

Remi
13.06.2012, 11:13
If Denmark and Germany wins today, they have secured spots, right?

Sharingan
13.06.2012, 13:56
If Denmark and Germany wins today, they have secured spots, right?

Yes, but whoever qualifies first or second will then come down to the final game between the two. If you qualify first you play the team that is second in Group A (Poland, Russia, Greece and Czech Republic) etc.

What will be really interesting is if Portugal and Netherlands win (and maybe even both 1-0) today, then everyone is on 3 points going into the last game (with the same goal difference). Now that would make Sunday very entertaining :).

Medic
13.06.2012, 16:05
What will be really interesting is if Portugal and Netherlands win (and maybe even both 1-0) today, then everyone is on 3 points going into the last game (with the same goal difference). Now that would make Sunday very entertaining :).

This is what i want to see. Some final battles and not some layed back football. Will be expecting some good games tonight. :)

Medic
13.06.2012, 19:42
Few minutes. Here are some funny commercials between us from McDonalds. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0BcbtIhT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUKTNVABvuM

black_Mirror
14.06.2012, 03:00
Who's your daddy?

Medic
14.06.2012, 04:51
Everyone is expecting much from us, except us hollanders (if we make it beyond this week, that would be amazing). We have a lot of injuries in the team and the feeling isn't there yet. Let's just hope this was a cold start.

Stil the same expectation here.
Watched 30 min. of the game. Switched over to an serie with more action.

Jazy2
14.06.2012, 13:54
You can catch any goals you have missed here... http://www.101greatgoals.com/

OneEar
14.06.2012, 20:32
Hard luck so far man

MrMojay
14.06.2012, 20:44
Well Ireland is down 1-0, they are putting up a good defense, but Spain are playing some world class football.

EDIT: 2-0 to Spain because one of our players passed the ball and it went straight to a Spanish player.

EDIT: 3-0 to Spain because of another mistake we made, Spain are running so many rings around us I am feeling Dizzy!

EDIT: 4-0 to Spain, it's all over now, Spain are just constantly advancing into our half going for Goals.

Well it's all over, we were out-classed and out-played, Spain were relentless in their passing and attacking, whenever one of our players got the ball 3 or 4 Spanish players closed them down and regained possession.

We did have our moments but failed to maintain possession and commit to and support the breaks, we had some good defense and thanks to our goal keeper it could have been a total embarrassment.

Spain were great to watch, they played the kind of football I like to see, great passing and skill and constantly attacking.

Well done Spain you deserve every Goal you scored. :icon_up:

big-eye101
14.06.2012, 21:39
You know what I really liked about the game just now? Apart form the fact that the spanish played really well? (and I am a spanish fan lol)

The fans! The irish fans were just amazing. Seeing irish and spanish fans next to each other just having a good time and enjoying the sport. That's what it is all about! Kudos to the fans! :)

MrMojay
14.06.2012, 21:43
You know what I really liked about the game just now? Apart form the fact that the spanish played really well? (and I am a spanish fan lol)

The fans! The irish fans were just amazing. Seeing irish and spanish fans next to each other just having a good time and enjoying the sport. That's what it is all about! Kudos to the fans! :)

Very true big-eye, I forgot to mention the Fans because I am so depressed.

The Irish fans never gave up (but we always say that when we lose), and it was great to see the Irish and Spanish fans mixed together and singing with each other, I think I saw an Irish and Spanish fan singing and an arm around each with their scrafs tied together. Love it!

Sharingan
15.06.2012, 13:20
Irish fans were brilliant yesterday, couldn't even hear the Spanish fans. Spain were great, unfortunately Ireland not so much (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18453676).

Italy-Croatia was a really good game too, Pirlo was just amazing.

Holland Germany was a strange one because I felt Holland were more dangerous, Germany (Gomez) was just very clinical and had a very dynamic midfield, and Holland had a dodgy defence again, but I didn't think Germany were really carving Holland open. Holland should have stuck a couple of their early chances away .

Portugal-Denmark was awesome, Ronaldo played well but badly missed two great chances and I didn't like his attitude when the winning goal was scored by Portugal, staying on his own in the penalty area, he was like a spoilt child trying to get attention.

Jazy2
15.06.2012, 13:35
Ireland were outclassed all over!!

Very few players had the desire to chase the ball down and the gaps left were exploited at will by Spain.

Just happy it didn't end in double figures!!!!

black_Mirror
15.06.2012, 14:02
Holland Germany was a strange one because I felt Holland were more dangerous, Germany (Gomez) was just very clinical and had a very dynamic midfield, and Holland had a dodgy defence again, but I didn't think Germany were really carving Holland open. Holland should have stuck a couple of their early chances away .

Can't really say that. We dominated the first hlaf of the game and from the look of it, I thought we will win this at least 3:0. Well the second half was very undynamic and static from germany. And it got even worse after holland scored! There where a few situations in the second half, where I thought we are going to lose this game, if germany keeps up this sort of play.
I really liked the fast play style in the first half, but all the power went down in the second one :/
Good game though

Sharingan
15.06.2012, 22:44
And it's WALCOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Time to shoot stuff

OneEar
16.06.2012, 11:53
Oh England, you filled my night with joy for the first time in many, MANY years.

MrMojay
16.06.2012, 15:03
Great result for England.

Medic
17.06.2012, 10:35
Big change yesterday. Czech and Greece through.
I'm thinking Germany and Denmark tonight.
Was looking at the group and will be interesting when germany loses an portugal wins.

Sharingan
17.06.2012, 23:38
Yesterday (C. Republic and Greece) was insane. Portugal look a really good team, on chances they probably deserved to beat Germany in the first game and have performed well ever since, but Holland were really poor the whole tournament for some reason. Denmark showed real heart and quality throughout, but not quite enough in the end. Germany are so dynamic; physically strong and fast players, tactically good, mentally strong (as always), and players with good technique and creativity, with a goalscorer who is in real form. A more complete team than Spain, but they just keep the ball and find space so well. It will be really interesting to see those two play each other, definitely the two best teams if Del Bosque can sort his tactics out, since they seem to be doing well in spite of him at the moment.

Jazy2
18.06.2012, 01:14
...... nad players with good technique and creativity.....

hmmmm

lol

Sharingan
18.06.2012, 22:55
Unlucky Croatia, ref was annoying, should have had at least one penalty.

Sharingan
19.06.2012, 23:40
Top of the group, very nice. Italy will be a brilliant game wth so many quality players on the pitch, but I have a horrible feeling that Gerrard and Parker are going to get hammered in midfield when Italy play three midfielders and we stick to our outdated 4-4-2, since their midfielders are some of the best in the world.

What a goal by Ibrahimovic, by the way.

Sharingan
24.06.2012, 01:44
Quarters all pretty uneventful so far, just one team pounding on the other, but tomorrow should be slightly more equal. Midfield battle will be insane, Motta, De Rossi, Pirlo and Marchisio vs. Gerrard, Parker and Rooney.

big-eye101
24.06.2012, 01:48
something i came across:

http://www.ryanstevens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/52715_700.gif

highly relevant of course ;)

Sharingan
24.06.2012, 01:54
Fair point, although I've never heard a German complaining about gamesmanship :p.

Sharingan
24.06.2012, 02:50
Something I came across:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAFzjHZlOQ0

Highly relevant of course ;).

Sharingan
25.06.2012, 00:38
:(

Italy deserved it, and on the performances we've been giving, Germany would have trounced us, so at least we'll be spared that much. Two great semi-finals to look forward to now, just hope that Italy and Portugal actually try and play and don't just sit deep and get hammered since I think they both have quality to hurt the teams they're playing against.

black_Mirror
26.06.2012, 10:23
I wish England would have won against Italy, cause I was looking forward to the game between England and Germany tbh.

Sharingan
26.06.2012, 13:12
I wish England would have won against Italy, cause I was looking forward to the game between England and Germany tbh.

lol, I think you mean "the slaughter".

Will be interesting to see how Germany deal with the Pirlo problem though, since we tried to put Rooney on him and Pirlo got away from him constantly with his smart movement, and Ozil is even worse than Rooney in regards to picking people up (although he has improved under Mourinho). Again, midfield of Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Ozil vs. Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi and Motta/Montolivo will be awesome to watch. I expect the 120 minutes that Italy played and 2 days extra rest for Germany to give Germany an edge, plus Germany will keep possession much better than England and should use the space on the wings to get good service to Gomez, but I also expect Balotelli's pace and movement to create problems for Germany on the counter too. GAH, TOO EXCITED!!!

Jazy2
26.06.2012, 13:20
Come on the Germans!!!

Sharingan
26.06.2012, 15:13
Come on the Germans!!!

I concur.

Sharingan
26.06.2012, 23:09
something i came across:

http://www.ryanstevens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/52715_700.gif

highly relevant of course ;)

Fair point, although I've never heard a German complaining about gamesmanship :p.

Something I came across:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAFzjHZlOQ0

Highly relevant of course ;).

*feels like an idiot for thinking Big-eye was german after now realising he's Austrian, and offending all Germans for no reason*

Whoops.

big-eye101
27.06.2012, 02:43
*giggle*

black_Mirror
27.06.2012, 03:39
Well I am still around if you need to offend a German that badly

Jazy2
27.06.2012, 08:24
ROFL

Sharingan
27.06.2012, 12:43
Well I am still around if you need to offend a German that badly

Noted

Sharingan
28.06.2012, 00:00
Interesting tactical match, Portugal were super brave to play the way they did and they managed to catch Spain on a bad day, but the way they played certainly played a part in that. I still think Spain are winning in spite of the tactics of their manager, they just look so much more dangerous when they have pace in the side.

Really excited for tomorrow.

FINArsi
28.06.2012, 16:39
I was suprised how well Portugal stopped Spain. They played just right against Spain. It was quite intersting match. I dont like the matches being decided in the penalties but what can you do. I think Spain really needs Torres on the attack.
Looking forward for tonights match. Im pretty sure the Germans will win. And the final match should be a great one.

FINArsi
28.06.2012, 22:05
Well played by Italy. That was a suprise for me. They have played well but didnt expect this.
Somehow Germany didnt seems to be at their best, a bit tired maybe.
Balotelli did score some awesome goals.

If Italy plays as well at the finals it will certainly be an interesting game!

black_Mirror
28.06.2012, 22:25
Tbh that wasn't well played by Italy, that was just the most horrible and miserable gameplay I have ever seen from a German Team. first 20 minutes where total dominating, and from then they ran around like headless chicken, one pass failure after another. Lws formation was totally misjudged , which he tried to repair in the second half. Well it went a bit better after the halftime but it wasn't enough.
One little question by the way, what in the name of god was that ref doing?! German player gets fouled... Yellow card for germany, ball to Italy dafug?! And at the very end, ending the game in an all out offensive? Not very fair play, but what can you expect from a french ref anyway.

Sharingan
28.06.2012, 23:10
Well I wondered how they'd handle Pirlo, and they tried playing the more disciplined and hard-working Kroos behind Gomez with the more creative but less defensive-minded Ozil more on the right, but Kroos was terribly ineffective at both jobs that were essential for him to carry out - stopping Pirlo and not dropping the technical and creative level of the German team, and he really failed at both unfortunately for them and I think this is where the first half was lost. Also, due to either Ozil defending poorly on the right-hand side of Germany's midfield, or being asked to go into the centre to make up numbers in central midfield - I couldn't tell - but either way it allowed Chiellini to be free on Italy's left very often, and it was Pirlo's pass to Chiellini that started the first Italy goal.

I also think that by putting too many in central midfield (Ozil not really a winger) they didn't do what I thought would have been their best way to goals, which would be causing problems down the wings of Germany, which we saw could have been effective when Reus came on. Podolski and Gomez were also very poor in the first half and Germany defended poorly for both goals, specifically Hummels on the first and Lahm on the second and I even think some of the players lacked a real typically strong German mentality - when I saw Klose chase a ball that was almost certainly going out like it was going to save his life, just to hook it back into the box, it made me think "I haven't seen a lot of that kind of fighting spirit from some of the rest of the team."

Italy had really good movement, technique and discipline all over the pitch. Every player seemed to perform at his best level, which was almost the opposite for Germany.

The game was pretty much over after the second goal, Italy controlled the game well. Germany started each half stronger than Italy for the first 10-15 minutes but then faded for some reason, maybe Pirlo controlling the halves more as it went on?

Really harsh on the Germans when the ref only allowed an extra 16 seconds after 4 minutes of injury time was played at the end of the game, would've thought at least a minute would be added on for the penalty and there was also a couple of yellow cards and other stoppages.

tl;dr On the night too many poor individual performances from Germany really and pretty much every Italian player played well.

Wonder if Spain have learnt from the first game, if not I have a feeling they might even be in for a pasting, since they're performances are getting worse and their tactics getting more ridiculously bad by the game.

Jazy2
29.06.2012, 03:16
Spain will win

All my predictions have been wrong so far!!!

Jazy2
01.07.2012, 21:54
Well done to Spain. Very good win for them. Quite a bit of luck with Italy going down to 10 men too.

2 super subs brought on to score within minutes of stepping on to the pitch!!!

great stuff!!

big-eye101
01.07.2012, 22:34
Los Espanoles! Los Espanoles! Vamenos a la fiesta muy grande para la victoria! :D

:D

----
Although I felt a bit sorry for italy during the second half. As they lost their substitute due to injury it kinda felt like they just wanted to roll over and die :(

Sharingan
01.07.2012, 23:13
Well, Spain didn't learn from the first games, and yet still gave Italy a trouncing. Shows what I know :p.

Although for the first goal I don't think Italy were nearly as aggressive in their defending as they have been in their other games, not getting close enough to whoever it was who passed the ball to Fabregas, and I think it was symptomatic of the Italians' lack of fitness/sharpness compared to the Spanish who looked fitter and sharper than in any other game, which was strange.

Also, I still think they would have performed even better had they had more pace in front areas, since all of their last 3 goals were scored/created by quick runners, first Alba who scored the second goal (probably the fastest player to start for Spain) and then Torres for the last two. However the crispness of their passing and movement and their excellent defensive display (including Casillas making excellent saves and punches from corners) meant that they won convincingly anyway.